The Ojibwa Indian School recognizes regular attendance as necessary to achieve consistent educational progress. Time lost from class is irretrievable, particularly a student’s opportunity for interaction and exchange of ideas with teachers.
North Dakota state law requires all children between the ages of 7 and 16 to be in attendance every day school is in session, with exceptions for illnesses and certain other incapacities. Also, refer to Tribal Code 5.11.01
The school will inform the parent in the case of unlawful absenteeism and request assistance in resolving the problem. Failure to cooperate may result in legal actions as prescribed by North Dakota Century Code and Tribal Code Section 5.11.01.
When a student is ill, it is expected that he/she stay home until healthy. Upon returning, students are expected to stop at the attendance office with a note from parents or a slip from a physician to explain their absence (s). If this notification is not done within (2) days of the absence, it will be counted as an unexcused absence.
School work missed by the student during an absence shall be made up regardless of the reason for the absence.
To be considered for grade promotion as student shall have accumulated no more than 20 absences.
• Students in grades 6-8 whose poor attendance has caused a notable deficiency in learning may be retained at their present grade level if, in the judgment of the building principal, such action is advantageous to the student. This decision is made after consultation with the teacher (s) and the parent (s) during the last month of the school year.
• Building administration is granted the right to make exceptions to this minimum attendance standard.
• Suspension will not count as an unexcused absence for purposes of determining the number of unexcused absences to be considered for
Definitions pertinent to the attendance requirements of the Ojibwa Indian School are as follows:
Perfect Attendance--Students present the entire day with no absences or out-of-school suspensions for each day school is in session.
Honorable Attendance -- 3 days or less of absences.
Tardy—Students will be considered tardy if they are not in class at 8:30 a.m.
Excused and unexcused absences are defined as:
Not Absent / Absent
- Homebound: X (Exempt)
- Non-School Sponsored Activities: A-U
- In-School Suspension: A-Ex
- Out-of-school Suspension: S
- Medical absence: A-Ex (with a signed medical)
- Skipping: A-U
- Funerals: BRV